Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims

Start your criminal injury compensation claim today with our no win no fee solicitors.
Enquiry Form

Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims

Start your criminal injury compensation claim today with our no win no fee CICA claim solicitors if you were the victim of an assault or a violent crime. The CICA, or Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, is a government body that allows victims of violent crime, sexual assault, and abuse to claim compensation for their injuries.

What is a CICA compensation claim?

A CICA compensation claim involves money awarded to someone who has been injured in England, Wales, or Scotland due to a violent crime or assault. You may be able to make a criminal injury compensation claim if you are a victim of a crime of violence committed in the last two years and reported to the police.

No win no fee CICA compensation claim solicitors

Our CICA claim solicitors handle criminal injuries compensation claims on a no-win-no-fee basis, which means you will not pay a penny if your compensation claim is unsuccessful. Are you a victim of a violent crime and sustained a criminal injury in the past two years? Contact our No Win No Fee solicitors in Manchester to take the first step towards your successful criminal injury compensation claim.

Eligibility criteria for a criminal injury compensation claim

You may be able to make a criminal injury compensation claim if you meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • The crime must have happened in England, Wales, or Scotland.
  • The crime must be reported to the police.
  • The crime must have happened within the past two years.

Who can claim criminal injury compensation?

You will only be eligible for a criminal injury compensation claim if you meet one of the residency or nationality requirements. You must have been one of the following when the crime happened:

  • A British citizen or EU or EEA national (or their close relative)
  • A family member of an EU or EEA national who has the right to be in the UK
  • A member of the armed forces (or you’re a close relative living in their household)
  • A potential victim of human trafficking on or before the date of your application – this must be confirmed by the UK Human Trafficking Centre and UK Visas and Immigration
  • An asylum seeker
  • A national of a country that has signed up to the Council of Europe Convention on the Compensation of Victims of Violent Crimes

You’re also eligible if you were ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK at the time of the crime. This depends on your connection to the UK, for example if you were living, working, or studying there (or you were the family member of someone who was).

Types of criminal injuries

Here is a list of some common types of criminal injuries you are entitled to be compensated for by the CICA scheme:

  • Mental or physical injury following a crime of violence
  • Sexual or physical abuse
  • Loss of earnings – where you have no or limited capacity to work as the direct result of a criminal injury
  • Special expenses payments – these cover certain costs you may have incurred as a direct result of an incident. You can only ask us to consider special expenses if your injuries mean you have been unable to work or have been incapacitated to a similar extent for more than 28 weeks
  • A fatality caused by a crime of violence including bereavement payments, payments for loss of parental services and financial dependency, and funeral payments

How long does it take for a criminal injuries compensation claim?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) usually takes 12-18 months to process a criminal injury compensation claim. However, the timescale is not set as it depends on the complexity of your claim.

Best solicitors for criminal injury claims in Manchester

At TPC Legal, we have the best team of assault and criminal injuries compensation claim solicitors in Manchester to deal with all types of criminal injury claims. We will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve and provide clear, jargon-free advice and guidance so you can be in complete control of your claim.